On Wednesday I had a really good day at work. it was a long day (730 to 7), but a good day. I’m really getting in the swing of things. for lunch we went to the Indian place across from the office and I got a really good chicken prata, which is kind of like a flaky square pizza/pancake. Yum so good. After work I went to the spinning class. The spinning class is in the Jackie chan fiteness center which is inside novena square, which is basically a shopping mall. It would be like if there was a subway and it stopped in the basement of the ventura mall, so when you exited the train you just walk one flight up and you’d be staring at old navy. Except a much bigger and nicer mall with 3 levels. There are so many sports clothing stores in novema square. At least a third of the stores. The gym is so busy as per usual. The spinning class was AWESOME… an intervals class. It was just an all out for the class. I actually took off my jersey which I never do and I was just wearing my bib and sports bra. I can’t decide how I feel about the spinning instructors here. Their classes are all really good but they don’t really ride the whole class and do a lot of bouncing in their seat so I can tell they don’t have the resistance very high. They get off the bike to walk around and change the ipod song. So we’re getting a really good workout because they keep pushing because they aren’t tired, but I really respect when the instructor actually rides the whole class.
The class is at 740 so by the time I was on my way home on the MRT is was 9PM so I stopped at thai express for some noodles. I got some spicy noodles but wow I had no idea what I was in for. They were SO good but ridiculously spicy I was literally crying my whole face and lips were swollen up and my esophagus was burning. I couldn’t lay down to go to sleep for awhile. I looked at the receipt they were called “Fire Noodles”.. uh yeah that’s an understatement. I’d get them again though.
On Thursday I got to work a little later at 8AM. Next week beng hwee is going on vacation so we had a lunchtime team meeting that I requested and we actually ordered pizza for it! hahah it was really good we got the Singapore special which was kind of like barbecue chicken pizza. Tomorrow (Friday) we have a public holiday but I volunteered to come in for a half day. I know I can finish my work just fine next week, and I don’t have anything that is deliverable for the report due Tuesday, but I only have a short time here to make a good impression thus I came in our day off. It was just me beng hwee and sven and I think I scored some points.
Little Miss Sunshine (my new name for Joelle) and I had planned to take a charter bus to Malacca, Malaysia this weekend, but we could get a bus ticket TO Malacca but not one home. So we weren’t able to go. It was really busy because of the holiday weekend I guess. So at the end of the day we at the last minute we booked a weekend getaway to nearby Bintan Island (Indonesia). Its about a 45 minute ferry ride and I’m hoping we get to relax on the beach, do some jet skiing, and just have a nice weekend.
Some more Singapore observations. Today I was in the store buying some sunscreen for the trip to bintan tomorrow. I noticed there were A LOT of beauty products for both men and women for “whitening the skin” a la MJ I’m assuming. I don’t know if this is to get rid of scarring or to just make your face light I’m not sure. curious either way. I also saw some magazines with the twilight rob and Kristen … but it wasn’t really them it was models that just looked like the real actors hahaha. I’ve heard of this before that magazines don’t pay for the real actors because overseas they aren’t able to discern the real thing. Kstew looked convincing but rpats just looked laughable.
So back to the sunscreen.. the bottles are about 1 ounce and super expensive. Funny for a place where women walk around under umbrellas even if its only a little sunny out. I walked behind a woman this week on my way to work. the sidewalk is partially lined with trees. In between the trees she would open the umbrella and then close it. it was open close open close open close all the way to work. hahaha seemed not worth all the effort. Well I guess that’s why women here look so ageless.
I saw some cyclists this morning. I was so envious. It was the last day of my free week gym pass so I went into negotiations with the team of black-shirted gym personnel. Ugh I had to mentally prepare for this. they say well they only have 1 year memberships. Well I’m only in Singapore 6 more weeks. Well we have a 1 month pass for $200. well that’s overpriced bullshit. So finally after half hour it was $160 for 6 weeks (sing dollars). Ok I felt good about that considering the people who have a year contract pay $110 per month. Suckers.
One thing I’ve noticed is that even when I’m out very late on a weekday night, there are SO many people out and about, most things are open quite late, even kids I see out very late. This could be linked to the later start of the workday. When I was in the shopping center at 9PM on wenesday, it was like it was a Saturday afternoon at the mall in California. Just so many people buzzing around.
Yesterday I talked to my bother on skype for awhile and then this morning I talked to matt. The skype thing is really working out well. I know its thanksgiving in the states, but when you’re in a place that doesn’t celebrate you don’t really realize it’s a holiday. Plus I missed last year when I was in Holland. This year both my brothers and me were going to be at my mom’s house which I was really looking forward to because we all hadn’t been together in a really long time, years maybe. But oh well hopefully this summer we can all get together.
Tonight me and Little Miss Sunshine (LMS) went to the bishan shopping center to get some groceries for the trip and to get a few other things. Ive been looking for a new shoulder bag because my swiss army bag, although its had a long life, is on its last leg. It made it all through Europe and all of last year. But now its time to retire. I’ve been looking for a new bag but its like trying to find the perfect little black dress. But tonight…I found it. its perfect and I love it. LMS got a book to read on the beach this weekend. I’ll stick to my civil engineering magazine. there is a dress I’ve seen in the window all week. it will be a perfect holiday party dress. Every day I stop and look at it. but I’m always in workout clothes and don’t want to try it on. Well today I was able to try it on and I loved it and now its mine. It will wait patiently in the closet until Friday's holiday party and I will take pictures then.
Ok time to go to bed now. Leaving for bintan in the morning. I’ll take lots of photos! Hoping for really good weather :) :) :)
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your stories and random commentary. miss you incredibly. do you know every lyric of fame monster yet? can you please teleport home for the concert??
ReplyDelete